Gulf Coast Ports See Mixed Year-Over-Year Results In Freight Volumes.

Gulf Coast Ports See Mixed Year-Over-Year Results In Freight Volumes.

Port Houston Will Decrease To 4,444 Container Shipments In 2023

In 2023, cargo volume passing through Port Houston’s two container terminals will decline 4% year-on-year compared to 2022, The year it sold 3.8 million pieces. Total steel tonnage (imports and exports)  in 2023 decreased by 14% from the previous year to 44 million tons. The authorities state that the year-on-year decrease in 2023 is due to a sharp decline in the number of empty containers, which recorded an 18% year-on-year decrease to 649,057 TEU with Gulf Coast.

“As we enter 2024, we are focused on continued strategic investments to enable larger vessels and more cargo to the region,” Port Houston Executive Director Roger Guenther said in a news release.The Houston Ship Route Gulf Coast Expansion (Project 11) is progressing well as we expand significant land transportation capacity with two container terminals. 


It ended 2023 on a strong note, increasing by 11% compared to the previous year. -Increased to 325,020 TEU. Cargo imports and exports increased by 11% year-on-year in December, totalling 150,648 TEU and 119,970 TEU, respectively. Steel imports in December decreased by 27% year-on-year to 336,773 tons, while steel exports increased by 324% year-on-year from 548 tons to 2,323 tons.

General imports in December increased by 13% year-on-year to 492,365 tons, and container exports increased by 190% to 955,668 tons. Empty container export volume in December decreased by 5% from the previous year to 39,588 TEU, but empty container import volume increased by 104% from the previous year to 14,814 TEU. The total tonnage sold in December was 4. Eight million tons, an increase of 87% year-on-year. The number of ships calling at ports in  December was 700, an increase of 7% compared to the same month last year. The number of barges calling at the Port of Houston increased 66% year over year to 296 vessels. The Port of New Orleans reports a 12% increase in container volumes.

The Port Of New Orleans Reported A 12% Year-over-year Increase 

In container volume to 481,593 TEU in 2023, driven by shipments of coffee, chemicals, and plastic resins. “In calendar year 2023, there were 20,016 container movements by barge, an increase of 15% [year-over-year],” Kimberly Kearse, a port spokeswoman, told FreightWaves. “This is our best year since we began operations in 2016.” 

The Gulf Coast Port of New Orleans also recorded a total of 406  calls in 2023, an increase of 22% from the previous year. The port handled 37,539 TEU in December, an increase of 17% year-on-year. The port handled 82,186 tons of general cargo, an increase of 29% from the previous year. The top general cargoes for the month included steel, natural rubber, and lumber. The port processed 8,729 Class I freight car changes in December.

The Port Of Corpus Christi Is Experiencing Increased Exports Of Crude Oil And Petroleum Products.

The total cargo volume at the Port of Corpus Christi will increase by 8% from the previous year to 203 million tons in 2023. In 2023, crude oil exports were the driving force, followed by oil and dry bulk shipments. This port handled 126 million tons of crude oil during the year, an increase of 12%  compared to 2022. Crude oil exports in 2023 exceeded 117 million tons, an increase of 14% compared to 2022. Total oil shipments in 2023 were  62 million tonnes, up 1% year-on-year, led by exports at 48.Nine million tonnes, up 1.2%  compared to 2022.

The Port of Corpus Christi handled eight million tons of dry bulk cargo last year, an increase of 1.5% compared to 2022. In December, the port handled 19.One million tons of cargo, an increase of 14% over the previous month. Crude oil exports totaled 11.Two million tonnes in December, an 11% increase from 2022. Oil exports totaled 5.Six million tons in December, an increase of 10% year-on-year. The port recorded 8,114 vessel and inland calls in 2023, an increase of 5% year-on-year compared to 2022. In December, Corpus Christi handled 714 vessels, an increase of 6% from a year ago.

Scroll to Top